- “The single most important feature of Lean Data is its focus on listening to customers in order to serve them better,” writes Alnoor Ebrahim, a professor Tufts’ Fletcher School. Acumen’s Lean Data methodology is no silver bullet, he says, and “is better seen as a complement to evaluation approaches such as randomized control trials rather than a substitute.”
A healthy environment for startups begins with a targeted investment in the systems nurturing founders and budding entrepreneurs. That’s been the driving philosophy for Durham-based NC Idea Foundation, which since 2006 has invested millions to support maturing startup cultures in cities and towns across North Carolina. The privately-funded foundation has supported more than 250 North
- Impact investors invested a total of $1.4 billion in Latin America in 2016 and 2017, a slight uptick from the previous two-year period, driven by a doubling of capital deployed by homegrown investors.
- Acumen's “Lean Data” impact measurement methodology lets the firm hear “directly from customers, even those in the most remote locations, in ways that creates value for them, for the companies that serve them, and for investors,” write Acumen’s Sasha Dichter and Tom Adams in the Measure Better series opener.
- The IFC, part of the World Bank Group, is betting on the nine principles to help combat “impact washing” while providing an impact-investing onramp for institutional investors sitting on trillions.
- Capital flows in Latin America, listening to customers, North Carolina’s startup ecosystems, crypto solar, LadyAgri hub
- “This alternative finance mechanism will help cities, businesses and potentially private homes to meet their basic needs, knocking off several Global Goals targets at once,” UNDP’s Dumitru Vasilescu said.
Suminter works with 50,000 farmers across Africa and Asia to source its products, which are then sold in 20 countries.
- Measure Better kicks off, online nature products in Brazil, online domestic jobs in India, impact operating principles