A 40-year old produce distributor in Eugene, Oregon may not be where you’d expect to find a fix for shareholder capitalism. But with Organically Grown Company, we believe that’s precisely what we found. Organically Grown has built an ownership model that shares economic value and governance among investors and workers, as well as growers, customers and
Updates from COP 24 As governments wobble, private sector takes the lead on climate action. Journalist Lou del Bello is in Katowice, Poland at COP 24, the global climate talks aimed at implementing the Paris climate accord. She took up ImpactAlpha’s challenge to find reasons for optimism. Her nominee: private capital. “While pessimism still
- Agents of Impact weekly roundup: Follow the talent with career moves, job openings, events and opportunities.
- A year before Paul Polman, the 62-year-old chief executive of consumer packaged goods giant Unilever announced his retirement last week, he fought an epic battle for the future of the company – and perhaps of capitalism.
- With a growing number of indicators pointing towards the coming end of the business cycle, it’s worth considering how environmental, social and governance, or ESG, and thematic impact investing strategies will fare during the next recession.
- The deployment of large amounts of capital for financial and social returns requires intermediaries rooted in both communities and the capital markets. That makes community development financial institutions well-positioned to serve the growing number of mission-driven investors.
- The Zurich-based impact investor has launched a Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) bond fund for European investors
- Portland, Ore.-based housing startup OneApp was launched by Tyrone Poole after being homeless and experiencing a difficult and costly search for housing
- The Myanmar-based distributor of pay-as-you-go home solar systems has raised a new round of debt funding from international investors
- Climate signals blink red, insuring resilience in Nicaragua, digital credit unions and fintech banks, perpetual purpose-driven trusts
- Portland, Ore.-based startup Mirador has developed a loan approval platform to help banks speed up the lending process for small businesses