- Breaking into a male-dominated industry like venture capital may well be a leading indicator of ability to invest in underdeveloped markets.
- The initiative is looking to secure and deploy $1 billion over the next 15 years. In addition to the Canadian government investment, it has secured an additional $100 million in commitments from outside funders.
ImpactAlpha, May 29 – Costa Rica-based EcoEnterprises Fund launched 20 years ago to boost sustainable livelihoods in agriculture, ecotourism and forestry sectors in Latin America. Since then it has raised two funds and invested in 30 companies in 11 countries, including wild acai grower Sambazon and organic beverage company Runa. EcoEnterprises claims to have impacted more than 200,000
- A key source of StandUp’s pipeline is Toronto-based startup hub MaRS’s Investment Accelerator Fund, which backs science and tech entrepreneurs and where McBane serves as a director.
- Amsterdam-based Project Cece makes ethical and sustainable fashion more accessible to people through an online marketplace that aggregates responsible brands.
- Most of the funding—$145 million—will be invested in financial institutions that lend to small businesses, while $50 million will be committed to Egyptian startup accelerators and venture capital funds that are fostering entrepreneurship.
ImpactAlpha, April 22 – Tennis mega-star Serena Williams has (not-so-quietly) invested millions over the last five years into dozens of diverse-led and impactful startups. Last week, Williams formally unveiled the full portfolio of Serena Ventures, which “invests in companies that embrace diverse leadership, individual empowerment, creativity and opportunity,” according to its website. There’s Mayvenn, the online marketplace