- Environmental impact bonds, which reward investors for backing projects that achieve positive environmental outcomes, are being used as a way for cities to finance greener infrastructure.
ImpactAlpha, February 21 – Under a new agreement with a pair of development finance institutions, agriculture financier Root Capital is eligible for up to $1 million in incentive payments on loans it makes to high-impact agribusinesses in Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, and Peru. Already Root has deployed loans eligible for the payments to farmer organizations
- Shell’s New Energies group is acquiring Germany-based solar storage company Sonnen. The acquisition announcement comes nine months after the oil and gas giant led Sonnen’s €60 million ($71 million) funding round.
- PG Impact Investments I has made roughly 20 investments, including a recent $5 million loan to Tugende, a motorcycle taxi lease-to-own startup in Kampala, Uganda.
- Bamboo’s investment will serve as first-loss capital to encourage follow-on funding from other investors.
- Private-equity giant KKR hasn’t yet closed its planned $1 billion Global Impact Fund, but it has been busy warehousing deals.
ImpactAlpha, February 13 – French impact investor Investisseurs & Partenaires has reached a second close for its I&P Afrique Entrepreneurs 2 fund. The fund, which invests in African startups working on issues related to the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals, has raised €75 million ($84.4 million) since launching in late 2017. Investisseurs & Partenaires (I&P) manages