- Now that Amazon’s beauty pageant is finally over, runners-up like Birmingham, Kansas City, Baltimore and 200 other cities can move ahead on their own.
- The Cleveland-based cooperative is raising a fund to help existing businesses convert to a cooperative model, reports Next City.
- Boston has a history for challenging the status quo and inventing new ways to connect and engage communities.
- Today, the city claims global investors and community leaders modeling new ways to put finance to use for the greater good.
New Revivalists is a series from ImpactAlpha and Village Capital profiling the people, places and policies reviving entrepreneurship — and the American Dream. New Revivalist: Jessica Norwood, The Runway Project Place: Oakland, Calif. Mission: To help close the racial wealth gap with friends-and-family pre-seed capital for black entrepreneurs. Follow: www.therunwayproject.org Jessica Norwood didn’t set out to create
A healthy environment for startups begins with a targeted investment in the systems nurturing founders and budding entrepreneurs. That’s been the driving philosophy for Durham-based NC Idea Foundation, which since 2006 has invested millions to support maturing startup cultures in cities and towns across North Carolina. The privately-funded foundation has supported more than 250 North
- The WNY Impact Investment Fund launched last year with $8 million to invest in social enterprises in Western New York. Along with Cleanfiber, the fund has backed EcoVerde Organics and Green Machine Equipment.
- The $70 million Bloomberg climate challenge seeks to promote sustainability and climate change awareness in 20 American cities.