A healthy environment for startups begins with a targeted investment in the systems nurturing founders and budding entrepreneurs. That’s been the driving philosophy for Durham-based NC Idea Foundation, which since 2006 has invested millions to support maturing startup cultures in cities and towns across North Carolina. The privately-funded foundation has supported more than 250 North
- The WNY Impact Investment Fund launched last year with $8 million to invest in social enterprises in Western New York. Along with Cleanfiber, the fund has backed EcoVerde Organics and Green Machine Equipment.
- The $70 million Bloomberg climate challenge seeks to promote sustainability and climate change awareness in 20 American cities.
- The Backstage Accelerator is launching in four cities: Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and London
- LaunchTN, an organization that supports Tennessee-based startups, has made its first investment from its $1.7 million seed-stage impact fund.
- The Philadelphia civic leader and social financier, died Saturday after a heart attack.
ImpactAlpha, June 12 – Municipal bonds are literally private investments in public goods, making them perhaps the original impact investments. About $435 billion in U.S. municipal bonds were issued last year to investors to finance projects with impact, including parks and schools, roads and bridges, clean energy installations and municipal broadband. But the muni-market has become