- The billionaire's Caribbean Climate-Smart Accelerator, conceived at last year's One Planet Summit in Paris, has been launched to finance and scale startups in 26 Caribbean countries and territories.
It’s going to take years for utilities’ grids to reach remote villages in Africa, if they ever do. Standalone solar home systems are filling some of the gap. But in many cases local “mini-grids” that can power businesses, schools and other loads are the least-cost option with the broadest social and economic benefits. Investors put
- Hand Talk launched in 2012 to help nearly 10 million hearing-impaired Brazilians communicate more easily with Brazil’s official sign language, Libras.
- The two investments are the first commitments fromMexico City-based Angel Ventures second fund, which has a target size of $120 million.
- Seventy-five percent of Colombia’s 45 million citizens live in urban areas.
- The startup’s model is to partner with publishers to deliver books and texts to schools and companies at a lower cost than institutions would spend buying physical books
ImpactAlpha, July 10 – A nationwide trucker strike protesting diesel price increases had ended only days earlier. Recession and austerity policies were pressuring Brazil’s middle class. President Michel Temer’s government is under fire, much like his predecessors’. That was the context for last months gathering of more than a thousand representatives from government, business, and civil