- Environmental impact bonds, which reward investors for backing projects that achieve positive environmental outcomes, are being used as a way for cities to finance greener infrastructure.
ImpactAlpha, February 21 – Under a new agreement with a pair of development finance institutions, agriculture financier Root Capital is eligible for up to $1 million in incentive payments on loans it makes to high-impact agribusinesses in Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, and Peru. Already Root has deployed loans eligible for the payments to farmer organizations
- Some highlights fromThe ninth Foro Latinoamericano de Inversión de Impacto in Mérida, Mexico.
- An increasing number of proof points are beginning to add up to a viable impact investing marketplace in Latin America.
- Shell’s New Energies group is acquiring Germany-based solar storage company Sonnen. The acquisition announcement comes nine months after the oil and gas giant led Sonnen’s €60 million ($71 million) funding round.
- Holacode supports technical skills development among an underserved demographic group: young migrants and refugees.
- The experiences of a handful of pioneering managers of early impact investing funds in Mexico, Brazil and Colombia offer a glimpse of the future for “second wave” impact funds that are emerging in many of Latin America’s smaller countries, including Guatemala, Ecuador and Bolivia.