The ESG ship has sailed, whether the Trump administration likes it or not. A spate of recent surveys suggest that consideration of environmental, social and governance factors in investment decision-making has become accepted, if not required, practice for asset owners and managers worldwide. The shift toward ESG investing has turned on a simple, yet critical,
ImpactAlpha, June 4 – The same focus on financial returns that long made social and environmental issues irrelevant to major institutional investors is now making them very relevant indeed. “The disruption to your portfolio from climate, from technology, from population growth, from urbanization – that’s coming,” says Ashby Monk, executive director of Stanford’s Global Projects Center,
- The insurance company’s impact investment portfolio stands at more than $715 million and is on track to meet its commitment to reach $1 billion by 2020.
- The U.S. opioid epidemic... may have snuck up over the past decade, but there’s no escaping the costs of the crisis now.
- Slow to act... Action has been slow to mobilize on the front of positive impact to reverse the epidemic. Investors, and many others, can be overwhelmed by large, complex problems.
- Calling all solutions... The floor is open for both practical and innovative approaches to reducing the burden of addiction.
- It's a thing... Corporate venture capital is a thing. And that thing is converging on impact investing.
- Latest ROI podcast... Our roundtable on ImpactAlpha’s Returns on Investment podcast took up the topic; have a listen as the journalists in the bunch turn the tables on the corporate impact investor in our midst.
- Pension and sovereign funds... are showing strong and growing interest in impact themes of climate risk, resources risk and social risk.
- The play... They're "looking for strategies that take advantage of sustainability-oriented themes or threats, and allow them to play that strategy.” –– Dave Chen, the head of Equilibrium Capital
- The takeaway: By finding inventive ways to make social inclusion and environmental regeneration pay, innovative financing models are “internalizing positive externalities”...