- The impact investment fund of Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta put $1 million into the Low Income Investment Fund to create a financing vehicle for earlier stage charter schools in Atlanta’s lower income communities.
- Tilapia is a low-carbon, efficient source of protein and is conducive to aquaculture operations, which have a potentially “transformational effect for the availability and affordability of locally produced protein,” said Dutch development bank FMO, which issued the loan.
- The equity round was backed by Dutch impact investors Waterman Ventures and Pymwymic and existing backer, life sciences venture investor Van Herk Investments
ImpactAlpha, April 22 – Tennis mega-star Serena Williams has (not-so-quietly) invested millions over the last five years into dozens of diverse-led and impactful startups. Last week, Williams formally unveiled the full portfolio of Serena Ventures, which “invests in companies that embrace diverse leadership, individual empowerment, creativity and opportunity,” according to its website. There’s Mayvenn, the online marketplace
ImpactAlpha, April 22 – First Nations and Inuit people in Canada do not own their land. Per the Indian Act, it’s held by the Canadian government. Without collateral, private banks are hesitant to fund early-stage development. “It’s very difficult to do on-reserve lending in a traditional format,” Bridging Finance’s David Sharpe, a member of the
- Ascension Ventures led the firm's funding round via its Fair by Design social impact fund, whose mandate is to invest in companies remedying the “poverty premium” that poor people often pay to access basic goods and services.
- KawiSafi has invested $21 million in five companies, including d.light, a leading solar lantern and home-system provider