- Breaking into a male-dominated industry like venture capital may well be a leading indicator of ability to invest in underdeveloped markets.
- The tagline was The Future Now. It might as well have been The Future is Female. The 9th annual Global Entrepreneurship Summit, a joint initiative by the U.S. and Dutch governments, convened this week in the Dutch city of The Hague (my new home).
- MMC Ventures and social enterprise lender FSE Group have clinched £100 million ($127 million) to advance the city’s startup scene.
- The initiative is looking to secure and deploy $1 billion over the next 15 years. In addition to the Canadian government investment, it has secured an additional $100 million in commitments from outside funders.
ImpactAlpha, May 29 – Costa Rica-based EcoEnterprises Fund launched 20 years ago to boost sustainable livelihoods in agriculture, ecotourism and forestry sectors in Latin America. Since then it has raised two funds and invested in 30 companies in 11 countries, including wild acai grower Sambazon and organic beverage company Runa. EcoEnterprises claims to have impacted more than 200,000
- A key source of StandUp’s pipeline is Toronto-based startup hub MaRS’s Investment Accelerator Fund, which backs science and tech entrepreneurs and where McBane serves as a director.
- Erin Gatz has a novel idea for promoting equity in tech: Priming female ‘makers’ for entrepreneurship in Pittsburgh’s buzzing startup sector.