- The impact investment fund of Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta put $1 million into the Low Income Investment Fund to create a financing vehicle for earlier stage charter schools in Atlanta’s lower income communities.
- Rodrigo Villar and New Ventures Mexico are waking up private investors to the next wave of innovation taking hold in Mexican and Latin American startups: the one tackling mounting social and environmental challenges.
- “We’re trying to democratize the data information on the retail sector,” says Frogtek’s Montse Mora.
ImpactAlpha, April 22 – Tennis mega-star Serena Williams has (not-so-quietly) invested millions over the last five years into dozens of diverse-led and impactful startups. Last week, Williams formally unveiled the full portfolio of Serena Ventures, which “invests in companies that embrace diverse leadership, individual empowerment, creativity and opportunity,” according to its website. There’s Mayvenn, the online marketplace
ImpactAlpha, April 22 – First Nations and Inuit people in Canada do not own their land. Per the Indian Act, it’s held by the Canadian government. Without collateral, private banks are hesitant to fund early-stage development. “It’s very difficult to do on-reserve lending in a traditional format,” Bridging Finance’s David Sharpe, a member of the
- The 169-page Treasury document of proposed new rules for Opportunity Zones removes substantial obstacles for investments in local operating businesses.
- Hidden inside the $3.8 trillion market for U.S. municipal bonds are mispriced social and environmental risks, untapped value and a whole lot of potential for on-the-ground impact in historically disadvantaged neighborhoods.