- Private investing in social impact is a concept that has so far been hard for many to grasp.
- Basic electric vehicles are popular in China’s rural areas, particularly for farmers transporting goods.
- Soak up the rain... China has been on a path to create about 30 “sponge cities” to absorb, store and purify rainwater to deal with both floods and water shortages.
- Ambitious plans... By 2030, China aims to have 80 percent of urban areas across the country behave like sponges.
- Real money... The cumulative investment in sponge city projects could reach 1.9 trillion yuan [$300 billion USD] by the end of 2020.
- Is this impact?… Lack of standardized credit scoring and reporting has limited access to credit and debt for low- and middle-income Chinese. Baidu is a part of the World Bank’s Universal Financial Access 2020 initiative.
- TPG in Asia… The deal is the Rise Fund’s first China-based investment and the first for Chang Sun, the former Warburg Pincus executive who joined TPG as managing partner in China last year.
A quarter of the world’s meat is consumed in China, including half of all pork, and meat consumption and production are both rising. Dao Foods International — a new collaboration between Dao Ventures, Moonspire Social Ventures and New Crop Capital — aims to “accelerate [China’s] shift toward plant-based and clean meat and capitalize on the investor interest in these better
China is already the world’s largest producer of solar energy. By 2022, it will also become the world’s offshore wind leader, according to new research from Bloomberg New Energy Finance (paywall). Globally, offshore-wind capacity is expected to hit 115 gigawatts by 2030, up from almost 18 GW today, the report says. Thank China’s commitments in the
Cross the world’s second-largest economy with global social and environmental goals and you may find high-growth, high-impact investment opportunities. That’s what the Social Value 99, a list of publicly listed Chinese companies ranked by economic, social and environmental performance, is intended to showcase. The China Alliance of Social Value Investment, a Shenzhen, China-based social finance