- The investment marks KKR's first impact investment, and comes before the firm has closed its first impact investment fund.
- Tokyo-based Molcure is developing a machine learning-powered platform to support faster drug development and the discovery of new treatments for cancers and other diseases.
- Vietnam-based Topica offers online education ranging from English tutoring to entrepreneurship and skills training to university-level degrees across six countries in Asia.
- The Hong Kong-based company was launched last year by Skype co-founder Geoffrey Prentice with a mission to use data science and artificial intelligence to develop alternative credit risk assessment for Asia’s unbanked, and provide them with digital lending and other financial services.
Capria Fund’s first close was anchored by $20 million from Vulcan Capital, the family office of Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, who died last month. (Microsoft’s other co-founder, Bill Gates, is also an investor.) The Capria Fund will invest in the network of funds in Africa, Asia and Latin America that have gone through its fund-manager
ImpactAlpha, November 5 – Aavishkaar wants to increase investment activity in Indonesia, Vietnam and Myanmar with its eighth fund. The India-based impact investor has a fundraising target of $300 million, DealStreetAsia reports. “We are avoiding India and China [with the fund], and looking more at smaller markets which have un-utilized potential,” Aavishkaar’s Vineet Rai said.
- Circulate Capital is looking to make debt, equity and quasi-equity investments in recycling and waste management ventures in India, Indonesia, and other Asian markets.