- “While other people were looking at informal and rural communities as spaces full of challenges and poverty, [my experience] in underserved markets showed me how much wealth and opportunity there is,” Halan’s CEO Mounir Nakhla said.
- The company raised its latest slug of funding from San Francisco venture fund Homebrew and impact investors Better Ventures and Urban Innovation Fund.
- Polymath Ventures is looking to raise a $100 million fund to help high-impact companies in Latin America raise early and growth stage capital
- “Our goal is to help the public and private sectors speak the same language when it comes to urban transportation,” said Coord’s co-founder Stephen Smyth.
ImpactAlpha, October 2 – The Urban-X accelerator graduated its fourth cohort of startups at a demo day in Brooklyn last week. With investors in attendance, seven startups showcased new hardware to make urban life less challenging and more enjoyable. Among this year’s cohort: Avvir, which uses laser scanners to scan construction sites and determine progress
- The fund backs microfinance institutions and water and sanitation-based ventures like micro-utilities, toilet manufacturers, and water kiosks to improve access to clean water worldwide.
- The Nigerian Y Combinator graduate builds solar-powered WiFi towers and provides high-speed internet access to 150,000 users via 7,000 WiFi hotspots in Nigeria.