The Oakland-based early stage venture capital firm is expanding into new impact tech and scientific domains, including artificial intelligence, data science and life sciences.
- With its Reconstruct Challenge, Louisville-based Access Ventures, aims to identify approaches to reduce ancillary costs, including transportation and food costs, that can push many families’ total housing costs north of 50% of disposable incomes, founder Bryce Butler told ImpactAlpha.
- The new funding will support expanded bus services in the U.S., Latin America and Asia; to lay groundwork for a train network in Europe; and to launch a ride-sharing service.
- In a new report, “Drones for Development,” Devex surveys the state of use of unmanned aerial vehicles in global development today and identifies ways to fulfill their potential for impact.
- Fifty Years, the mission-driven San Francisco venture capital firm, has two impact strategies: finding tech entrepreneurs tackling the world’s biggest problems, and reshaping global capital flows by showing such companies can be huge successes.
- Venn offers a “neighborhood platform” to connect residents to co-living and public spaces, social resources, classes and events.
- The round was led by Nairobi-based Novastar Ventures and Japanese motorcycle maker Yamaha, with participation from Breakthrough Energy Ventures and Dutch impact investor Goodwell, through its uMunthu Fund.