The Vancouver-based impact investor backs early stage companies in sectors that even impact investors tend to avoid, like public transportation tech and water.
- Investissement Québec led the firm’s $7.5 million ($10 million CAD) Series A.
- Another everyday staple is under scrutiny.
- The Vancouver-based company's Series B was led by two ag-focused funders: new investor Ospraie Ag Science and returning investor Seed2Growth (“S2G”) Ventures.
- The goal is to promote "economic reconciliation" and help to keep wealth and capacity within indigenous communities, Raven’s Jeffrey Cyr said.
- The initiative is looking to secure and deploy $1 billion over the next 15 years. In addition to the Canadian government investment, it has secured an additional $100 million in commitments from outside funders.
- A key source of StandUp’s pipeline is Toronto-based startup hub MaRS’s Investment Accelerator Fund, which backs science and tech entrepreneurs and where McBane serves as a director.