- The goal is to promote "economic reconciliation" and help to keep wealth and capacity within indigenous communities, Raven’s Jeffrey Cyr said.
- The initiative is looking to secure and deploy $1 billion over the next 15 years. In addition to the Canadian government investment, it has secured an additional $100 million in commitments from outside funders.
- A key source of StandUp’s pipeline is Toronto-based startup hub MaRS’s Investment Accelerator Fund, which backs science and tech entrepreneurs and where McBane serves as a director.
ImpactAlpha, April 22 – First Nations and Inuit people in Canada do not own their land. Per the Indian Act, it’s held by the Canadian government. Without collateral, private banks are hesitant to fund early-stage development. “It’s very difficult to do on-reserve lending in a traditional format,” Bridging Finance’s David Sharpe, a member of the
- The social impact bond is Canada’s fifth, and second focusing on at risk mothers.
- "This is not just a major milestone for social finance in Canada," said SVX's Adam Spence. "It is a watershed moment for our country as a whole."
- CoPower’s investment was made through its retail green bond initiative, which allows everyday Canadians to invest in green bonds.