- “This alternative finance mechanism will help cities, businesses and potentially private homes to meet their basic needs, knocking off several Global Goals targets at once,” UNDP’s Dumitru Vasilescu said.
The French impact investment firm Investisseurs & Partenaires raised €21 million ($25 million) to launch and seed other impact funds in Africa. Investisseurs & Partenaires’ goal for its second I&P Développement fund is to launch 10 funds that will provide €20,000 to €500,000 in financing to 500 small businesses on the continent. Farmers, agribusinesses, and
- Pyramid Group’s products currently reach about four million people, half of whom are part of the continent’s emerging consumer class.
- The off-grid solar lender is looking to raise $85 million to finance companies making solar products for off-grid households in Asia and Africa
- The Nigerian Y Combinator graduate builds solar-powered WiFi towers and provides high-speed internet access to 150,000 users via 7,000 WiFi hotspots in Nigeria.
- A number of efforts aimed at closing the missing-middle finance gap for social ventures by monetizing impact are underway.
- The funding from the U.K.’s Department for International Development will allow the agribusiness impact investor to expand operations to Kenya and the Ivory Coast, in addition to the eight African countries where the organization currently invests.