- Bamboo’s investment will serve as first-loss capital to encourage follow-on funding from other investors.
ImpactAlpha, February 13 – French impact investor Investisseurs & Partenaires has reached a second close for its I&P Afrique Entrepreneurs 2 fund. The fund, which invests in African startups working on issues related to the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals, has raised €75 million ($84.4 million) since launching in late 2017. Investisseurs & Partenaires (I&P) manages
- Cape Town-based Newtown Partners and Lion Pride Investment Holdings in Johannesburg have announced plans to raise and co-manage a ZAR500 million ($37.4 million) fund that will in invest in small and medium-sized South African enterprises.
- The Masiyiwa Rural Challenge Fund will originate loans of $1,000 to $10,000 to businesses based in or serving rural areas in Zimbabwe.
- Tugende’s mission is to improve asset ownership, boost drivers’ incomes, and improve road safety by offering driver safety instruction and insurance.
- The Toronto-based arm of Engineers Without Borders has invested an undisclosed amount in Kenyan startup FarmDrive, which offers digital loans to smallholder farmers.
- StackDx is contributing to the World Health Organization’s call to improve early and accurate disease diagnosis with its low-cost at-home testing kits and drop-in labs.