Website Black Farmer Fund
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Black Farmer Fund (BFF) was created by Black farmers who were frustrated with the limited financing options available to them, hoping to create a funding vehicle that would challenge the racial injustices and wealth inequalities faced by Black food actors. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and an emerging community investment fund that invests patient (flexible repayment terms), and integrated capital (mix of low-interest loans and grants) in Black food businesses in the Northeast.
BFF is by us, for us, with a community of Black farmers and food systems entrepreneurs from across the region leading the fund’s governance and decision-making around which applicants receive funding. Our process is consensus-seeking and guided by our values of economic justice, community wealth building, and managing environmental/ecological impact. We are currently in the process of making direct investments in Black food actors while emphasizing financial education, investment literacy, and active community involvement in creating these financing options.
You can find more information on Black Farmer Fund here.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Black Farmer Fund seeks its first full-time Development & Investor Relations Director to steward our individual, investor, and philanthropic fundraising strategies. This person will be responsible for the fundraising goals of an annual operating budget of $3M and managing investor relations for a $20M integrated capital fund. The position will manage most aspects of the development cycle including prospecting, soliciting, cultivating and stewarding donors/investors and philanthropic institutions. The Development & Investor Relations Director will also lead grant writing and reporting within the organization. A qualified candidate will have experience managing a portfolio of donors/investors, designing and implementing targeted fundraising strategies, practicing sound data management, grant writing and collaborating across teams.
- $115,000-$125,000 depending on experience;
- Reports directly to Co-Executive Director, Melanie Allen;
- Remote, full-time position (must reside in the Northeast) with 10% travel for in-person events and workshops;
- Benefits include generous PTO; two paid organizational breaks; self-care stipend;
work from home stipend; professional development stipend; IRA employer match; comprehensive medical, dental, and vision health insurance coverage; FSA/HSA plans, and varied eligibility of OneMedical, TalkSpace, Teladoc
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
Black Farmer Fund values inclusion in our workplace and community. People of color, women, people with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender, gender-nonconforming and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Folks from communities listed are encouraged to apply or to reach out for more information. Black Farmer Fund knows these groups are subjected to systemic oppression– including people of color, women, people from working class backgrounds, and people who identify as LGBTQ – are less likely to apply unless and until they meet every requirement for a job. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other communities who are marginalized.
BFF also complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and corresponding state or local law. IF you believe you need an accommodation in order to participate in the application process, please contact [email protected].
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, onboarding, advancement, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Development Leadership – 15%
- Develop and strengthen BFF’s fundraising infrastructure to ensure efficient and effective support for individual giving and institutional giving
- Work as a member of the leadership team to refine our approach to giving and establish strategies that are in-line with Black Farmer Fund’s Fundraising Values & Principles;
Individual Giving – 40%
- Steward the development of a comprehensive, multi-year individual donor strategy with annual raise goals
- Serve as the point of contact for individual donors;
- Organize (virtual and in person) events to establish and maintain relationships with potential donors
- Recommend new engagement opportunities for donors and implement best practices for attracting future supporters;
- Develop partnerships and collaborations with values aligned institutions and organizations that may provide financial or social capital to Black Farmer Fund
- Lead the planning and execution of prospective fundraising events, including the securing sponsorship
Philanthropic Institutional Management -30%
- With support of team, responsible for leading proposal writing (foundations, government), reporting and
- Through prospectus research of donors and philanthropic institutions, develop database of potential institutional donors that align with the work of Black Farmer Fund
- Prepare materials for leadership to be informed prior to fundraising calls and events
- Represent Black Farmer Fund in external spaces connected to donor stewardship
- Collaborate with the Operations department to maintain accurate records and reports in the Salesforce donor database, tracking cultivation and stewardship activities, reporting deadlines and progress to goals
Investor Relations- 15%
- Serve as the point of contact for investors for BFF Fund 2.0
- Support the Investment Director & Communications Team in generating BFF Fund 2.0 reporting
- Convey credibility and expertise in advising investors on confidential and complex philanthropic planning matters
- Ensure that investors to the fund are stewarded and consistently engaged through the development of biannual impact reports
- Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years of direct fundraising and/or direct donor/investor relationship experience required;
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing fundraising campaigns and developing community partnerships;
- Demonstrated experience developing sound donor strategies, including using research and additional supporting materials;
- Demonstrated experience working with individual investors and/or investment firms;
- Knowledge of current philanthropic landscape and proven ability to build and maintain relationships with a variety of stakeholders, donors and board members while maintaining discretion;
- Expertise or strong experience designing and pulling custom reports and creating dashboards and portfolios using Salesforce;
- Familiarity with prospecting research tools (e.g. DonorSearch, WealthEngine)
BFF seeks candidates that exhibit both mission alignment and professional competency in the following areas:
- Ability to effectively communicate the work of Black Farmer Fund in a personable, passionate and engaging manner;
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including experience with grant writing and proposal development;
- A commitment to solidarity economy values, such as racial, economic, and climate justice, cooperative ownership and systems change;
- A strong preference for candidates with experience in the field of agriculture and/or development;
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently in a remote work setting;
- Experience and demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook), Google Drive and online meeting tools, such as Zoom;
- Experience with project management tools (e.g., Asana, Slack);
To apply for this job please visit docs.google.com.