- The billionaire's Caribbean Climate-Smart Accelerator, conceived at last year's One Planet Summit in Paris, has been launched to finance and scale startups in 26 Caribbean countries and territories.
- Gates is backing a $30 million venture philanthropy accelerator that will support early stage biotech companies working on Alzheimer’s research, detection and diagnosis.
- Winfrey made an undisclosed investment in True Food Kitchen after herself patronizing one of its restaurants
- Powell Jobs’ Emerson Collective is “equal parts think tank, foundation, venture capital fund, media baron, arts patron and activist hive,” writes the Washington Post’s David Montgomery.
- The BEV, with $1 billion in commitments from Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Jack Ma, Mukesh Ambani, Richard Branson and others, announced its first two investments.
Jack Ma is backing young African entrepreneurs with a new $10 million fund. The founder of Chinese ecommerce giant Alibaba announced his African Young Entrepreneurs Fund at the Youth Connekt Africa Summit in Rwanda. It was the first visit to the continent for Ma, who is worth more than $35 billion. “African entrepreneurs should not be asking
Mark Zuckerberg believes in “personalized learning” and wants kids to teach themselves (through software Facebook is helping develop). But teachers will have a role, too, so Zuckerberg’s LLC is making a $5 million investment in Landed to help teachers buy homes in the Bay Area’s high-priced housing market. Landed generally contributes up to half of a