Boston Impact Initiative (BII) is a nonprofit impact investing fund working to build financial, social and political power for entrepreneurs of color to close the racial wealth divide. We do this by investing in the people, places and social enterprises that share our vision of an equitable economy and access to catalytic capital. BII is also transforming the impact investing field through field-building and education for entrepreneurs and fellow investors, fund managers and philanthropists so that economic and racial justice becomes integral to any place-based investment strategy.
Over the last 10 years, BII has pioneered how to deploy integrated capital — defined as financial (equity, debt and grants), knowledge and social capital — to regenerative local enterprises owned and controlled by communities of color. BII manages two integrated capital funds that invest in entrepreneurs of color and community-owned or controlled real estate in New England. BII has invested $13 million into 75+ companies since inception, and provides impact-focused business support, connections and coaching to over 100 small businesses each year. Our investments catalyze impactful enterprises and community owned and governed real estate that prevents displacement. In doing so, BII is democratizing access to finance and transforming how capital moves towards the entrepreneurs and communities of color that have been systematically under-invested. Through our investing activity, education programming and local advocacy efforts, BII is supporting the solidarity finance movement and transforming the way capital is allocated to build community wealth, ownership and power.
As we raise and deploy our newest $20M investment fund – BII Fund II, we are growing our investment team with a Portfolio Manager who will play a significant role in BII’s Investment strategy. The Portfolio Manager will split their time between two primary functions:
- Portfolio Management: Work closely with current portfolio companies to provide strategic and tactical guidance to founders and their leadership teams. The Portfolio Manager must have the maturity, experience and competence to contribute to go-to-market and customer acquisition strategies, financial management and/or business development opportunities. Key focus of this role will be to add significant post-investment value to BII’s portfolio companies.
- Investing: Source, analyze, structure, and diligence prospective impact investments while providing pre-investment support to pipeline companies, performing portfolio analytics and reporting, and cultivating and managing partner relationships. The Portfolio Manager should be able to lead a transaction from sourcing and analysis, through diligence and presentation, to documentation and close.
- In collaboration with the Investment Director and Impact Director, provide financial, strategic, and impact coaching and advising to portfolio company founders and their leadership teams.
- Develop targeted financial and impact milestones and corresponding financing roadmaps.
Cultivate and expand BII’s network to maximize business development, partnership, and growth opportunities for portfolio companies.
- Support connections among BII portfolio companies and founders.
- Represent BII in annual meetings with portfolio companies and on portfolio company Boards of Directors where BII has a seat.
- Source, cultivate and evaluate new impact investment opportunities and their fit in the BII portfolio.
- Work directly with potential companies and community partners to bring opportunities to preliminary viability or diligence.
- Lead communications with potential companies and co-investment partners to move opportunities through the investment process.
- Lead and conduct financial, business and impact due diligence, build financial models, and draft and finalize investment memos, financial analysis, and other related documents to put forward investment recommendations and presentations to the BII Investment Committee and/or Board.
- Oversee drafting of term sheets, partnership agreements and legal investment documents in coordination with BII attorneys.
- Keep abreast of the latest trends and developments in the impact investing field by reading available written resource materials, and attending impact investing conferences and educational workshops.
- Build and maintain relationships within the small business entrepreneurial ecosystem and with referral partners.
- Present virtually or in-person with partners on relevant webinars and conferences about BII’s capital and technical assistance programs.
- Coordinate the collection of quarterly and annual financial reporting from portfolio companies.
- Assist with analysis of financial and impact data for investor, board and annual impact reporting.
- Support development of fund and portfolio level performance reports.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in corporate finance, portfolio management, impact investing, venture capital, or related fields
- MBA or graduate degree in Finance. CFA or CAIA a plus. Direct impact investing experience is strongly preferred.
- Proven experience in structuring a range of alternative capital transactions, including loans, receivable/royalty financing and equity transactions.
- Strong skill set in quantitative analysis, financial modeling and valuation.
- Ability to critically evaluate private investment opportunities and make recommendations based on financial and impact investment criteria.
- Demonstrated interest in and understanding of economic justice, gender equity, impact-first investing and a desire to advance an investment strategy that focuses on building community wealth and power.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain networks and relationships within the impact investing and entrepreneurial communities.
- Resourceful, proactive, entrepreneurial, able to prioritize and navigate in a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Unquestioned ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
BII offers a work environment that supports the unique needs of each employee to balance work and life. We offer a benefits package that includes flexible work options, healthcare, life insurance, short term disability, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid time off and professional development support.
To apply for this job please visit www.idealist.org.