From downtown Detroit to rural Fresno and from Appalachia to the Navajo Nation, communities are finding new ways to use the tools of finance to invest in small businesses, schools, health clinics and urban infrastructure.
Private investors are increasingly attuned to place-based, community, and municipal finance as well, as they recognize they have a role to play in creating thriving economies in their own backyards. Indeed, U.S. municipal bonds, a $3.8 trillion market, are the original “impact investments” for advancing quality jobs, racial equity, affordable housing and inclusive growth.
Policy makers and practitioners “are exploring how, and whether, capital markets can promote meaningful ways to address racism, inequality, and inequities,” says Lourdes Germán of the Public Finance Initiative, which has focused on the municipal bond market.
ImpactAlpha is expanding our industry-leading coverage of impact investing and sustainable finance with a new staff position covering municipal finance and community investment. We’re looking for a smart thinker and quick writer to own the red-hot beat.
Is that you? You can be a seasoned pro or a hungry rookie, a finance whiz or a sharp trend spotter. You’re not afraid to call bulls**t, push harder and dig deeper. You’re fired up by passionate people, new solutions and big possibilities.
ImpactAlpha identifies solutions worth scaling and balloons that need popping. Our audience includes asset owners (institutional and individual), asset and fund managers, foundations, advisors (including accountants, lawyers, consultants as well as finance), entrepreneurs and advocates.
ImpactAlpha’s virtual newsroom has hubs in California, New York, Texas and Europe, with partners and freelancers in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Our multi-channel, subscription-based platform includes our award-winning daily email Brief, ImpactAlpha.com, podcasts, social media, conference calls, data services and video. We have a highly engaged work culture that is collegial and respectful and prizes initiative and responsibility.
Still keen? Drop a note to [email protected] with a few lines about why you’re interested in joining the team, along with a resume and some links to clips or other media.
What you’ll deliver:
- Original, accurate and enterprising research, reporting and writing on feature stories, deals, trends and people in municipal finance and community investing;
- High-quality editorial production across the web, newsletters, podcasts and other channels.
- Solicitation, management and editing of freelance contributions, guest columns and op-eds;
- Project management (special features, sponsored content, events, etc.);
- Team collaboration (i.e. editorial calls, event/presentation support, project collaboration, etc.).
What we’re looking for:
- A journalist or practitioner with:
- A solution-lens in their reporting;
- Diverse lived and professional experience;
- Engagement, interest and familiarity with basic finance, investing and social/environmental impact terms and concepts.
- At least three years of experience reporting/editing on impact investing, community investing and finance, municipal and public finance or local economic development;
- Excellent reporting, writing and copy-editing skills and solid journalistic judgment;
- Portfolio of published articles, podcasts, or digital bites;
- Modern digital skills and practices (G Suite, WordPress, Mailchimp, images and data)
- Excellent communication, collaboration and active listening skills.
- A sense of fun and camaraderie!
What you’ll get
- Competitive compensation based on experience, plus equity (vesting over time);
- Flexibility to work from anywhere;
- The chance to join a talented, diverse, and passionate team at a pivotal time in the company’s lifecycle;
- Medical insurance (we cover 100% of your premium and up to 85% for your dependents); and
- Holiday breaks, flexible paid time off and generous parental leave.
ImpactAlpha is a subscription-based, multi-channel digital media platform that is redefining business journalism around social and environmental value. Our audience and our beat are “Agents of Impact” working in impact investing, sustainable finance, ESG and entrepreneurship to accelerate a more just, equitable and sustainable world.
ImpactAlpha provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.