Tired of business as usual? Want to make a difference in the world? ImpactAlpha is looking for an ambitious, data-driven reporter to join its expanding team as we pursue exciting new growth opportunities.
ImpactAlpha is the leading daily news and data platform serving impact investing and sustainable finance practitioners. Our subscribers are influential leaders and practitioners looking to shift capital to solutions that address climate, racial justice, and global well-being and rewrite the rules of finance.
We’re looking for smart thinkers and quick writers eager to jump on the biggest story in business and finance. You can be a seasoned pro or hungry rookie, a finance whiz or a sharp trendspotter. Experience in data journalism is a plus. Don’t be afraid to call bulls**t, push harder and dig deeper. Do be fired up by passionate people, new solutions and big possibilities.
ImpactAlpha is a subscription-based, digital media platform that is redefining business journalism around social and environmental value. Our audience and our beat are “Agents of Impact” working in impact investing, sustainable finance, ESG and entrepreneurship to accelerate a more just, equitable and sustainable world. In this growing marketplace, we are both trusted insiders and skeptical outsiders. We identify solutions worth scaling and balloons that need popping. Our audience includes asset owners (institutional and individual), asset and fund managers, foundations, advisors (including accountants, lawyers, consultants as well as finance), entrepreneurs and advocates. Our beats: climate finance, racial justice, equitable development and place-based solutions.
ImpactAlpha’s daily email newsletter, The Brief, is seen by more than 70,000 professionals and influencers globally. The Society for Advancing Business Editing and Writing (SABEW) recognized us in 2021 as the “Best Newsletter.” ImpactAlpha.com features both our award-winning original content and other subscriber benefits. We host regular Agents of Impact (video) calls featuring leading voices in the impact investing space. Our four podcast feeds include the weekly Impact Briefing, as well as Agents of Impact interviews and our Returns on Investment roundtables. Our open database, ImpactSpace, includes profiles on more than 10,000 impact ventures, funds and deals.
Opening: Impact investing reporter
ImpactAlpha’s remote newsroom and operations teams are based in California, New York, Texas and Europe, with partners and freelancers in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We have a highly engaged work culture that is collegial and respectful and prizes initiative and responsibility.
The successful candidate will be a versatile, flexible and resourceful reporter or data journalist comfortable with a range of topics, tasks and responsibilities, including:
- Original, accurate and compelling research, reporting and writing on feature stories, deals (Dealflow), trends (Signals) and people (Agents of Impact) in the impact investing/sustainable finance/entrepreneurship spaces;
- Collecting, analyzing and presenting data in an engaging way and developing new products and services that leverage our editorial content.
- High-quality editorial production and assistance (website formatting/posting, newsletter and podcast distribution) across channels;
- Project management (help organize special features, sponsored content, events, etc.);
- Team engagement and assistance (pitch in on editorial calls, event/presentation support, project collaboration etc.).
Compensation and qualifications:
Salary: $65,000 to $90,000, commensurate with experience.
Additional benefits: flexible work hours, healthcare, 401(k), equity stock grants.
We’re looking for talent, not credentials. In general, candidates should be prepared to demonstrate:
- Excellent reporting, writing and copy-editing skills and solid journalistic judgment;
- Engagement, interest and familiarity with basic business, finance and investing terms and concepts;
- Newsroom or equivalent experience or Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in journalism/communications, business/finance or policy/development;
- Portfolio of published articles, podcasts, or digital bites;
- Modern digital skills and practices (G Suite, WordPress, Mailchimp, images and data);
- Excellent communication, collaboration and active listening skills.
To apply: Please send a cover letter describing your career goals and vision, along with a resume, to [email protected] (subject line: Impact investing reporter).
ImpactAlpha provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.