- The financing round was led by Japanese venture capital firm Dream Incubator with backing from BEENEXT, pi Ventures, impact investor Ankur Capital, Axilor Ventures and Binny Bansal, the co-founder Indian e-commerce giant Flipkart.
- The Singapore-based financier has loaned social enterprise Khmer Water Supply Holding $500,000 to expand small-scale water infrastructure in rural Cambodia.
- Investing in news media (podcast); insect feed; transforming energy access; immigrant entrepreneurs; Luminate, Kapor and Emerson are hiring
When Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff paid $190 million for Time magazine last year, he told interviewers, “One of the things that really matters to me is having a positive global impact.” Are newspapers and newsmagazines “impact investments”? And are the billionaires who buy them making a positive impact? The roundtable regulars take up the
- Non-native business founders made up about 30% of all new entrepreneurs in 2017, according to Kauffman Foundation’s latest Indicators of Early-Stage Entrepreneurship, up from 13.3% in 1996.
- Solar financing company SunFunder reached a $42.5 million first close for its Solar Energy Transformation fund, with backing from OPIC, Calvert Impact Capital, Ceniarth and IKEA Foundation.
- The World Bank, U.N. Women, and the Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) have launched a bond to improve access to credit and debt for rural women in some of India’s poorest states.