The financing gap for small businesses around the world is a yawning $940 billion. A new Collaborative for Frontier Finance is trying to tackle the problem by breaking it into segments. The collaborative’s early work is to identify breakthrough financing strategies for high-growth and niche ventures as well as “dynamic” enterprises in bread-and-butter industries and
- It’s the halfway mark of the annual impact festival known as SOCAP18. ImpactAlpha has fellows Emma Kulow and Tiago Gomes, digital producer Roodgally Senatus, marketing director Tracy Barba and editor David Bank in San Francisco to capture a slice of the activity.
- B-BOVID works with small farmers to teach sustainable farming practices, particularly for palm oil production.
- Closing racial wealth gaps, energy-efficiency financing, scaling Village Capital, Bloomberg climate cities
- Living Cities’ Ellen Ward and Brinda Ganguly chart how Living Cities’ $37 million Blended Catalyst Fund is investing in racial justice. Ward and Ganguly share seven questions they now ask of every transaction.
- Village Capital is aiming to take its model up on the capital continuum. Victoria Fram, managing director of VilCap Investments, says the firm is planning to raise a later stage fund, likely with a U.S. focus.
- The European Investment Fund and Big Society Capital invested in the fund, along with prior Ananda family office, individual and institutional investors.