- Smart subsidy for mini-grids, converting India’s air pollution, transitioning to renewables, gender investing at Soros Economic Development Fund
ImpactAlpha, June 11 – Rural electricity has often required subsidy. The self-sufficient electricity grids known as mini-grids are no different, say a dozen impact investors with $2 billion under management. Investors including Acumen, Blue Haven Initiative, and Ceniarth, as well as Engie Powercorner, Responsability and KawiSafi Ventures are calling on donors and governments to provide results-based financing to subsidize rural connections that could
- Chakr has raised 190 million rupees ($2.7 million) to help expand its reach to an additional nine cities in the next 18 months. Indian Angel Network Fund led the round with participation from prior investor IDFC-Parampara Fund.
- LevelTen Energy widens the market for renewable power with a marketplace that connects producers to corporate customers.
- Female fund managers in emerging markets; blockchain for small businesses, supply chains and elections; Halloran’s early money
- Breaking into a male-dominated industry like venture capital may well be a leading indicator of ability to invest in underdeveloped markets.
- For a dozen years, Halloran Philanthropies has been building the field of social impact investing with both grants and investments.