ImpactAlpha, April 22 – Tennis mega-star Serena Williams has (not-so-quietly) invested millions over the last five years into dozens of diverse-led and impactful startups. Last week, Williams formally unveiled the full portfolio of Serena Ventures, which “invests in companies that embrace diverse leadership, individual empowerment, creativity and opportunity,” according to its website. There’s Mayvenn, the online marketplace
ImpactAlpha, April 22 – First Nations and Inuit people in Canada do not own their land. Per the Indian Act, it’s held by the Canadian government. Without collateral, private banks are hesitant to fund early-stage development. “It’s very difficult to do on-reserve lending in a traditional format,” Bridging Finance’s David Sharpe, a member of the
- The Brief’s Big 9: Mitigating hidden risks, Opportunity Zone rules and tools, muni-bond makeover, McDonald’s of diabetes, Agent of Impact Mark Khan
- Follow the talent with ImpactAlpha’s weekly report on career moves, job openings, events and opportunities.
- The 169-page Treasury document of proposed new rules for Opportunity Zones removes substantial obstacles for investments in local operating businesses.
- Sexy impact munis, Acumen’s off-grid energy fund, rural childcare, alt-credit in the UK, flexible Opportunity Zone regulations
- Hidden inside the $3.8 trillion market for U.S. municipal bonds are mispriced social and environmental risks, untapped value and a whole lot of potential for on-the-ground impact in historically disadvantaged neighborhoods.