Symbiotics is the leading market access platform for impact investing, dedicated to private markets in emerging and frontier economies. The group offers investments, asset management and capacity building services.
Symbiotics Investments focuses on loan origination and bond issuance. It currently employs 100 people and is headquartered in Geneva, with offices in London, Amsterdam, Mexico City, Singapore, Cape Town, New Delhi and Yerevan. Our affiliates in London and Amsterdam are both regulated entities, with relevant investment firm licenses for the United Kingdom and the European Union respectively.
Since 2005, Symbiotics Investments has originated 7,500 investments representing more than USD 9.4 billion for 575 companies in 95 countries.
We are a fast-growing, market-leading company, offering a dynamic work environment in the growing impact investment space. Our people are our biggest competitive advantage.
We believe that in order to recruit the best professionals all applications must be reviewed equally. For this reason, we will not require personal data such as photos, date of birth or gender to be included on CV applications.
Who we are looking for
An experienced Investment Analyst who will be responsible for developing and maintaining business relationships with portfolio companies in Sub-Saharan Africa, developing a pipeline of potential investments, traveling to and performing on site due diligence on these companies, analyzing credit risk, understand their debt funding needs, and monitoring their financial and operational performances during the investment’s life.
The position is based in Cape Town (South Africa), but we are also open to candidates who want to be based out of Dakar (Senegal) or Nairobi (Kenya).
We offer a dynamic work environment in a growing industry and an opportunity to work in the social investment space with a for-profit corporation.
About the Job
- Conduct on-site due diligences of financial intermediaries in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Write credit risk appraisals, investment advisory reports and social performance evaluations
- Monitor global situation, opportunities and risks in financial markets of the above-mentioned region
- Develop a pipeline of credit worthy investment targets in specific markets
- Maintain and monitor a portfolio companies, including monthly financial reporting
Support the development of new business opportunities in the region
This position requires regular travel to countries within the region. We are looking for a person who is organized, mature, and able to work independently in a dynamic and challenging environment, as well as having entrepreneurial drive, attention to detail and pride in the quality of one’s work, including the following qualifications:
- Advanced university degree in finance, economics or business along with strong technical skills
- Proven experience as a credit analyst or financial analyst
- Knowledge of the microfinance and banking industry and impact investment
- Dedication to social and sustainable development
- Previous experience in Sub-Saharan Africa is essential
- Capacity to handle multiple tasks on a daily basis
- Fluent English; French would be a plus
- Willingness and readiness to travel (up to 30%)
What makes us different?
- The chance to contribute to improving the lives of people in emerging and frontier countries, to work towards supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- A flexible work environment with colleagues from 41 countries
- The opportunity to become part of a growing business that pushes you to excel every day while having a positive impact on others
To apply for this job please visit careers.symbioticsgroup.com.