Website Pivotal Ventures
Pivotal Ventures (“Pivotal”) is an investment and incubation company created by Melinda French Gates. We partner, invest, and advocate to remove barriers that hold people back, concentrating on areas where progress and opportunity have stalled for millions of Americans. The pursuit of a more equal and equitable United States—not just for some of us, but for everyone—is what drives us forward. It’s the why behind every problem we tackle.
We approach partnership with big ambitions and open minds, embracing what’s already working and innovating beyond traditional philanthropy. Some areas we focus on: women in technology and innovation; Women in public office; women and girls of color; adolescent mental health; paid family and medical leave; and caregiving.
Inspired by our founder, we reach across communities and sectors to bring together changemakers who can scale up proven ideas and catalyze new ones. We learn from their experiences, amplify their resources, then step back so they can lead.
Our impatience with the status quo is fueled by an optimism that progress is always possible.
We are seeking a Director of Equity and Belonging to provide leadership, expertise and integration to equity and belonging across our organization and in how we drive social impact in the United States. The role reports to the President and is part of the office of the President.
The Director leads, facilitates and advises on equity and belonging (e+b) across our three interconnected spheres for this work:
- We apply an equity lens across our impact work for social progress – equity at the intersection of gender, race and all systemically marginalized identities.
- We evolve our organizational culture, practices and policies with the same lens to meet organizational needs and support our team in doing their best work.
- We support individual learning so that we can each contribute to a culture that embodies our Pivotal principles and advances our mission.
The ideal candidate is highly collaborative, excels at building trust, is empathetic, can handle sensitive issues with discretion and is skilled at coordinating across teams and working with internal and external partners.
As a senior leader with significant expertise in equity and belonging, the Director serves on Pivotal’s Executive Leadership Team (ELT), which is the body responsible for maximizing our impact, including setting and assessing organizational goals and priorities; reviewing and approving strategies for major bodies of work; advancing and sustaining Pivotal Ventures’ culture, principles, and reputation. This role provides expertise and leadership that fosters an integrated approach to equity in our organization and our work, supporting our collective responsibility for advancing a culture of equity and belonging to reflect and advance our work for social impact.
Pivotal believes that every team member carries responsibility for advancing equity and belonging and that some roles carry particular responsibilities for it. As such, the role is not meant to supplant the responsibilities that each leader and team member holds for equity and belonging commitments, objectives and goals. This role provides expertise and leadership that fosters equity in our organization and our work, supporting our collective responsibility for advancing a culture of equity and belonging.
In support of organizational policies and practices, the Director of Equity and Belonging will build a special partnership and collaboration with the Director of People and Culture. They will develop shared goals and approaches for advancing equity in our workplace policies and practices.
In support of advancing equity through our social impact work, the Director of Equity and Belonging facilitates learnings, coaching and other infrastructure to support Pivotal’s team leaders (Program Strategies, Investment and Communications) who are each accountable for embedding an equity lens in their strategies for social impact.
- Develop, lead and implement org-wide initiatives to support individual equity learning and engagement, which currently includes equity fundamentals training for new team members.
- Be an active, engaged, influential member of Pivotal Ventures’ ELT, bringing equity and belonging expertise and an org-wide perspective to setting organizational goals and priorities, reviewing and approving strategies for major bodies of work; advancing and sustaining Pivotal Ventures’ culture, principles and reputation.
- Serve as an advisor to the President, the Director of People and Culture, Senior Directors for Communications, Programs Strategy, Investments, Executive Engagement, General Counsel and other senior leaders.
- Partner with leadership across the organization to have a deep and on-going understanding of Pivotal’s specific approach to social impact, including our unique role as a philanthropic and investment entity. Stay engaged on our book of business and alert to equity issues that may impede or promote our approach or impact.
- Co-chair Pivotal’s Equity and Belonging Working Group in partnership with the Director of People and Culture.
- Set goals for Pivotal’s equity and belonging work, measure progress against those goals and suggest adjustments and/or changes to our work if goals are not being met.
- Spearhead change management efforts for equity + belonging, serving as key liaison with internal and external partners to shape and implement change.
- Develop and manage the budget for equity consulting support and initiatives.
- Lead and support the team of external consultants who provide expertise, advice and programmatic support to Pivotal’s work in equity and belonging.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or behavior required to be successful in this role.
- Proven leader who can set vision for an org-wide scope of work and empower teams to carry it forward.
- Strategy development and execution: guide implementation, delivery, and impact measurement of approved strategic objectives with proven success of driving results and outcomes.
- Experienced manager of people and budgets (10+ years).
- Significant expertise in designing and leading DEI programs at a social impact or similar organization (8+ years).
- Working knowledge and understanding of state and federal employment laws, including anti-discrimination laws and general DEI best practices preferred.
- Have an understanding of philanthropy, impact investing and other levers for social impact change.
- Effective writer, communicator and listener.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with teams in a fast-paced environment to achieve ambitious goals.
- Appreciation for diverse perspectives, excels at building trust, empathetic and can handle sensitive issues with discretion.
- Skilled at decision making and working with internal and external partners.
- Curious with a growth mindset.
- High degree of passion, integrity and energy and strong commitment to social impact work.
- Deep experience building trusted relationships across all employee levels of an organization.
- Change management experience; proven success at collaborative planning and implementation of cross organization initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining confidentiality and privacy.
- Must be able to pass Background Investigation including Criminal, Public Records and Credit Checks.
To apply for this job please visit www.pivotalventures.org.