WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
NatureVest is the impact investing unit of TNC. NatureVest’s mission is to facilitate the development of global financial markets that value, monetize, and integrate natural capital at scale. It does so by sourcing capital and structuring investable deals that generate financial returns and achieve measurable environmental and social outcomes that support TNC’s 2030 Goals. NatureVest impact investments include but are not limited to debt, venture capital, equity, and guarantees utilizing direct investments, funds, facilities, special purpose vehicles, blended finance, and fund of funds. NatureVest has helped TNC and its partners originate, structure, fund and close investment vehicles representing more than $3.1 billion of committed capital. To learn more, visit: www.nature.org/naturevest.
The Director (Deal Lead), Impact Investments will report to the Managing Director, Impact Investments on the NatureVest team. The Director’s role is to source, originate, structure, model, execute, and close potential impact investment opportunities that generate priority conservation outcomes and financial returns that are competitive with other comparable market offerings. The Director will seek to co-create these transactions with asset managers, operating partners, conservation and investment experts (including Nature Conservancy colleagues), as well as potential cornerstone investors. The Director will be primarily responsible for transaction structuring, negotiation, and execution, and will play an active role in investor engagement and fundraising alongside NatureVest’s capital raising team. In addition, the Director will be primarily responsible for working with internal stakeholders at TNC (including members of senior management and the Global Board of Directors) to secure any necessary feedback and internal support for the transaction. Additional responsibilities include representing NatureVest at various conferences and investor events and assisting in the strategic development of NatureVest.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Commitment to the mission and values of The Nature Conservancy, although no prior experience in environmental conservation is required.
- Requires willingness and ability to travel both domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time, and to work occasional weekends and evenings.
Origination and Pipeline Development:
- Growing NatureVest’s transaction pipeline by working with internal TNC conservation and strategy staff, and external asset managers and other partners (including potential investors), to source and structure new investment transactions across multiple conservation priorities domestically and globally.
- Conducting financial assessment of new investment opportunities including: detailed business and financial modeling and cash flow analysis; regulatory and business risk assessment; and stakeholder engagement and negotiation.
- Making independent decisions frequently based on analysis, experience, and judgment.
- Representation of the NatureVest team at industry and stakeholder events globally for both thought leadership and investment origination purposes.
Transaction Structuring, Capital Raising, and Closing:
- Develop fit-for-purpose financial and legal structures that satisfy TNC’s conservation and reputational priorities while meeting investor needs.
- Conduct detailed negotiations with potential investors, operating partners, and key stakeholders.
- Develop detailed pitch decks, investment memoranda and any other necessary investor materials. Conduct investor roadshows and investor calls as needed.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of ‘Work You Can Believe In’, where you feel like you are making a difference every day. NatureVest Impact Investments play a critical role in helping TNC achieve our 2030 Goals and addressing climate change.
The ideal candidate should have exceptional impact investing deal structuring and execution skills, superb communication and collaboration skills, and advanced financial modeling and presentation skillsets. You will be working on a remote team with colleagues in the United States, Africa, Europe, and Asia. Ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, across many different cultures, will be key to success in this position. Help bring impact investing to an even wider audience and apply today!
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 or more years’ experience in a private sector environment, such as investment banking, asset management, private equity, impact investing, consulting, or investment deal lead role at a leading conservation organization or government entity, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Senior career or post-career professionals welcome.
- Investment experience including transaction structuring and cash flow modeling.
- Experience in securing capital from investors such as investment banks, private wealth managers, public pension plans, endowment funds, private trusts, and high-net worth individuals.
- Experience with analytical and deal workflow and project management.
- Fully fluent English professional business speaking, writing, and reading.
- Professional or native fluency in another language such as Spanish, Portuguese, or French.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
This position may be based any country where TNC has an established entity in either Europe, Latin America, or Africa, taking into consideration legal restrictions, such as non-national ratios and immigration processing times. Pay ranges will be in local currency and be based on the local labor market. Your geographic location will be confirmed during the recruitment and used to determine your actual pay range. Additionally, for all applicants, actual pay will fall within a range based on a variety of factors including, for example, the candidate’s qualifications, specific skills, and experience.
To apply for this job please visit careers.nature.org.