Website Forest Investment Associates
About the job
Forest Investment Associates (FIA) seeks an experienced professional to join in the new position of Sustainability Manager. In this role, you will support FIA’s investment programs across sustainable forestry, including timberland investment and nature-based solutions, and play a key role in advancing the firm’s sustainability practices. The Sustainability Manager will work across the growing scope of FIA’s sustainability programs, including the implementation of the firm’s environmental, social, and governance (ESG) and impact roadmap, working with investment and forestry operations staff on ESG integration, and ensuring continual improvement. The Sustainability Manager also supports FIA’s portfolio management professionals to ensure investor ESG needs are integrated into asset management and reporting in alignment with investor needs. FIA sees this role as offering career growth within a field at the forefront of the sustainable development and offering opportunity for increasing leadership of FIA’s sustainability agenda and programs.
The ideal candidate will have prior exposure to ESG within an investment context and/or sustainable forestry. The Sustainability Manager should bring a passion for sustainable finance, with curiosity and an innovative spirit to find ways to connect FIA’s business with evolving investment trends in climate, nature, and social impact. The Sustainability Manager will be part of a small, dedicated team and will report to the Director, Sustainability & ESG. The position does not have any direct reports.
The role is intended to be hybrid with in-person time required in the firm’s Atlanta headquarters, typically two days per week. Travel is estimated at around 10-20%. Note that applications submitted only via LinkedIn may not be reviewed. Please see the To Apply section.
- Work closely with the Director to foster a culture of pride and excitement in the firm’s sustainability programs and to ensure continual improvement
- Responsible for collaboration on the day-to-day implementation of FIA’s sustainability programs with other FIA teams
- Support ESG due diligence on investment opportunities and contribute to investment recommendations as needed
- Act as a resource to the FIA team on best practices for ESG integration
- Work with investment team and portfolio managers to ensure ESG requirements of investment products are fulfilled, including through execution of ESG practices, internal auditing, and reporting
- Support, as needed, to the operations staff responsible for forest certification and carbon certification (this role does not manage certification programs)
Policy and External Relations
- Take a leading role in development and implementation of initiatives to support FIA and its clients in managing ESG risks and pursuing ESG opportunities
- Keep abreast of global policy developments that may affect FIA, our investments, and our clients with respect to sustainability, climate, biodiversity, etc.
- Represent FIA in industry collaborations and working groups, where relevant
Reporting and Compliance
- Preparation of ESG reporting, including quarterly firm-wide updates, annual PRI reporting, FIA’s annual ESG and Impact Report, and supporting client ESG reporting
- Manage ESG data collection and analysis to support investor and public reporting
- Manage internal audit, performance monitoring, and related requirements within the ESG program (not including forest certification audits)
Collaboration and Support
- Coordinate the ESG Committee, including preparation of papers, scheduling, and action items
- Support the FIA team as needed in areas such as forest certification, conservation projects, and management of ESG action plans
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences, natural resources, forestry, business, finance, or related field desired
- 4-7+ years of experience in ESG, corporate sustainability, impact investing, or investment management
- Familiarity with sustainable forestry, forest certification, natural resources, and or nature-based solutions preferred
- Experience with, or desire to learn about, ESG regulation and voluntary initiatives (e.g., TCFD, TNFD, GHG Protocol, impact investing)
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills with proficiency in going between technical concepts and real-world application
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- An ability to work independently and prioritize effectively
- Ability to build strong relationships and work within a team environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
What We Offer
At FIA, our mission is to provide high-quality, sustainable forest investments that deliver superior performance while cultivating client relationships based on mutual trust and exceptional service. We understand that a fulfilling career is about more than just a job – it’s about balance, purpose, and growth. That’s why we offer a flexible work environment that promotes a healthy work-life balance. We are proud to offer a hybrid work model, allowing our team members the freedom to thrive in a combination of remote and in-office work. We invest in your future through providing development programs, training, and continual education opportunities, ensuring you have the tools to succeed and supporting you in your professional growth.
We encourage applicants from all backgrounds and experiences to apply, even if you don’t meet every single requirement listed in the job description. FIA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome individuals who are excited to support our mission and help us grow value through sustainable forestry investments.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.