Acumen America is looking for an Associate to join our San Francisco-based, US venture investing team, and to focus on our supporting our health portfolio. We’re looking for someone with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in consulting, non-profit, health care, or related fields and a commitment to tackling poverty. The right candidate is a bold, creative, and passionate individual who can excel in a fast-paced, startup environment.
The Associate will be joining a team catalyzing the power of entrepreneurs to drive meaningful change on problems of poverty in America. In particular, the Associate will focus on supporting a portfolio of game-changing health companies focused on tackling poverty in the United States. Since 2015, Acumen America has invested in 39 companies reaching over 85M low-income Americans. We’re committed to principles of diversity and inclusion, and 56% of our companies have a founder of color and 44% have a female founder. Over half of these investments have been in the health sector. The team is responsible for finding, vetting, structuring and managing investments in companies that serve low-income Americans in our three portfolio sectors: financial inclusion, workforce development, and health.
Medicaid Innovation Collaborative
The Medicaid Innovation Collaborative is a program of Acumen America with the goal of advancing the adoption of innovations in Medicaid. The MIC offers a structured approach for states and health plans to identify and implement tech-enabled solutions to address health equity. Through cross-state collaboration, technical assistance, and a robust process to identify and vet solutions, the state Medicaid programs collaborate with managed care plans to support the adoption of tech-enabled innovations to address health equity. The MIC has supported the development of partnerships between managed care plans and health companies to pilot and evaluate their impact on Medicaid agencies. This work drives important insights for the Acumen America investment team as well as the portfolio companies. It also support Acumen America’s broader systems change goals to impact health for low-income Americans.
Reporting to the Principal, the Associate will play a key role on the Acumen America team and focus specifically on advancing the goals of the Acumen America’s health strategy. The primary focus will be supporting the implementation of the Medicaid Innovation Collaborative programmatic goals. The role will also be actively involved in developing and implementing a program of high-quality technical support to Acumen America’s health portfolio companies. The Associate will manage the execution of the MIC program by working closely with state agencies, managed care plans and companies to address health equity. They will also assist the Principal and the Directors with building best-in-class post-investment support for Acumen America’s portfolio companies.
The individual in this role must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, changing environment, executing quickly on a range of transactional responsibilities, as well as thinking critically to add value and solve problems. This role will report to the team’s Health Principal. More specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Develop, coordinate, and manage project plans for the health team
- Develop production of deliverables and communication products to support the success of the health portfolio, including MIC
- Support management of the Consumer Advisors to inform and guide MIC and support the AA portfolio companies
- Conduct research and analysis to inform focus areas for the MIC
- Manage and coordinate activities with State Medicaid departments, managed care organizations and other MIC vendors and partners
- Support the coordination and management of approaches to support portfolio company needs including mentorship and match-making programs
- Monitor and assign resources appropriately to streamline project efficiency and maximize deliverable outputs
- Support operational needs of the Health team including supporting webinars, events, and organizing knowledge management systems
- Support administrative and systems needs of the health team
- Support communications needs of the health team including leading social media and website management
- Support building of PPT’s, spreadsheets and deliverables to support the advancement of goals
- Work with Acumen America team to identify and manage approaches to address portfolio company needs related to post investment support, which may include areas such as the following:
- Establish and maintain health industry advisory group
- Develop coaching program for company CEOs
- Launch market and policy landscape programming
- Hone pilot funding and evaluation model to demonstrate impact of solutions
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in program management, operations or related experience in the health sector
- Strong interest and experience with program management or consulting experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to creating social impact and advancing health equity
- Ability to pro-actively see challenges and fill the need
- Open to trying new approaches or tools to solving needs
- Solid operational skills including problem-solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
- Self-reflective and aligned with Acumen values
- Must be permanently authorized to work in the U.S.
To apply for this job please visit acumen.org.