- The Singapore-based financier has loaned social enterprise Khmer Water Supply Holding $500,000 to expand small-scale water infrastructure in rural Cambodia.
- The company raises mealworms and uses their larvae to make two products: YnMeal, a fishmeal for farm-raised fish, and YnFrass, an organic plant fertilizer made from mealworm larvae castings.
ImpactAlpha, February 21 – Under a new agreement with a pair of development finance institutions, agriculture financier Root Capital is eligible for up to $1 million in incentive payments on loans it makes to high-impact agribusinesses in Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, and Peru. Already Root has deployed loans eligible for the payments to farmer organizations
- Bamboo’s investment will serve as first-loss capital to encourage follow-on funding from other investors.
- The Masiyiwa Rural Challenge Fund will originate loans of $1,000 to $10,000 to businesses based in or serving rural areas in Zimbabwe.
- Cost-reduction, year-round availability and food-system resilience are driving demand for food produced in ‘controlled environments,’ aka greenhouses with high-tech features.
- The Toronto-based arm of Engineers Without Borders has invested an undisclosed amount in Kenyan startup FarmDrive, which offers digital loans to smallholder farmers.