- More than half of the plastics in the ocean comes from South and Southeast Asia
Financing ecosystem conservation deals is complicated enough, what with the need for local partnerships, sustainable commodity production, payments for ecosystem services, and ways to improve local livelihoods. Financing such projects in coastal communities and marine environments is even more complex. There are no more than a handful of impact funds targeting ocean investments, and countries
- Lab-grown meat startups haven’t yet put any products on the market, but the spectrum of products in development is diversifying.
- The company’s early growth is particularly focused on the aquafeed market for fish farms.
- The C$10 million (US$8 million) round… was backed by sustainable aquaculture fund Aqua-Spark, Obvious Ventures and Real Ventures. Real Ventures previously led XpertSea’s C$1.25 million seed round in 2015.
- Big secular trend... Bain Capital Double Impact believes it is at the forefront of an impactful trend.
- Hungry for sustainable food... The impact fund has made two investments in the past week in healthy, sustainable restaurant ventures.
- Displacing unsustainable... As part of its impact management process, Bain tracks "unsustainable meals displaced"...
- Hatch says... it is the first accelerator specifically for aquaculture.
- Aqua-Spark... invests in small and mid-size sustainable fishing ventures...