- An executive order by President Trump creates a White House council to coordinate Opportunity Zone support from 13 federal agencies. That could include grant funding, loan guarantees, infrastructure spending and crime prevention initiatives.
- Bobby Turner has teamed up with tennis star Andre Agassi on two Turner-Agassi charter school funds that have raised more than a half-billion dollars and have built 87 schools serving 45,000 students.
- He has also enlisted actress Eva Longoria and basketball star Chris Paul as “ambassadors” (as well as investors) in two Turner Multifamily Impact Funds that acquire and preserve urban rental housing for families earning less than an area’s median income.
- Now that Amazon’s beauty pageant is finally over, runners-up like Birmingham, Kansas City, Baltimore and 200 other cities can move ahead on their own.
- Investors and fund managers looking to distinguish their Opportunity Zone or other place-based investing strategies may begin by asking, "where is my capital needed most?”
Read all of ImpactAlpha’s industry leading Opportunity Zone coverage. Not knowing the impact of Opportunity Zone investments puts communities, as well as investors seeking tax-advantaged returns, at risk. The good news: impact investors have spent a decade building the tools to measure and manage impact, even without a federal mandate. Opportunity Zone, or “OZ”, investors
- The zones are “the biggest experiment today in the American economy...to tackle what I think is the biggest challenge in the American economy, which is the lack of opportunity that so many American households suffer through," says Shah.
- Impact Capital Forum and law-firm Orrick gathered New York real estate investors, fund managers, impact investors, attorneys and consultants to take stock of the opportunity zone opportunity.