- The deployment of large amounts of capital for financial and social returns requires intermediaries rooted in both communities and the capital markets. That makes community development financial institutions well-positioned to serve the growing number of mission-driven investors.
- Big Lottery Fund and Big Society Capital have seeded the fund with £3 million ($3.8 million).
- Bobby Turner has teamed up with tennis star Andre Agassi on two Turner-Agassi charter school funds that have raised more than a half-billion dollars and have built 87 schools serving 45,000 students.
- He has also enlisted actress Eva Longoria and basketball star Chris Paul as “ambassadors” (as well as investors) in two Turner Multifamily Impact Funds that acquire and preserve urban rental housing for families earning less than an area’s median income.
ImpactAlpha, November 18 – Toronto-based impact investing platform SVX is rolling out a U.S. version of its matchmaking service with an $11.5 million debt offering from TechSoup. California-based TechSoup is non-profit tech marketplace for charities and libraries. The 31-year-old organization helps other organizations secure hardware and software technologies they need “to design and implement technology
- The Philadelphia-based community development financial institution invested $3 million in Sunwealth to expand solar energy access in the U.S.
- CNote’s account holders have supported more than 280 entrepreneurs, 50% of which are minority-led and 37% of which are women-led. These businesses have helped maintain or create 1,400 jobs.
- Boston has a history for challenging the status quo and inventing new ways to connect and engage communities.
- Today, the city claims global investors and community leaders modeling new ways to put finance to use for the greater good.