ImpactAlpha, June 12 – Municipal bonds are literally private investments in public goods, making them perhaps the original impact investments. About $435 billion in U.S. municipal bonds were issued last year to investors to finance projects with impact, including parks and schools, roads and bridges, clean energy installations and municipal broadband. But the muni-market has become
- Companies in the index on average "pay better, create more jobs, pay fewer fines, give twice as much to charity, emit less greenhouse gas, and have higher return on equity, compared with the rest of the Russell 1000."
- The Civic Tech accelerator, hosted by Omidyar Network and Village Capital in India, is looking for “ventures leveraging technology and/or physical community-building to connect citizens with government and/or one another in order to advance civic outcomes.”
- Marshmallow, a U.K. startup, plans to offer car insurance to the more than 9 million foreign born drivers who recently moved to the country.
- Cashalo offers small loans to individuals on a mobile platform using non-traditional credit scoring methods.
- Australia’s retirement fund for health and community industry employees is putting an additional A$40 million ($30.5 million) to its Social Impact Investment Trust.