ImpactAlpha, June 11 – Rural electricity has often required subsidy. The self-sufficient electricity grids known as mini-grids are no different, say a dozen impact investors with $2 billion under management. Investors including Acumen, Blue Haven Initiative, and Ceniarth, as well as Engie Powercorner, Responsability and KawiSafi Ventures are calling on donors and governments to provide results-based financing to subsidize rural connections that could
- Chakr has raised 190 million rupees ($2.7 million) to help expand its reach to an additional nine cities in the next 18 months. Indian Angel Network Fund led the round with participation from prior investor IDFC-Parampara Fund.
- LevelTen Energy widens the market for renewable power with a marketplace that connects producers to corporate customers.
- The nine-year old company raised $32.6 million in an oversubscribed second growth round with a new investment from Cox Enterprise and participation from previous investors.
- MMC Ventures and social enterprise lender FSE Group have clinched £100 million ($127 million) to advance the city’s startup scene.
- Singapore’s $300 billion state-owned investment fund is rolling out its own private equity impact fund to invest in Asia’s social businesses.
- Does ESG performance actually make any difference in terms of actual social and environmental impact?